Monday, December 29, 2008

Socializing 2.0

Well I took the plunge today and joined Facebook. Yet another password has been added to my my growing Playground Password list (I've tried to commit this to memory, but am failing badly hence the written list). I really debated whether I should join Facebook since it sounded like one more thing I would need to check and stay on top off. However, instead of being overwhelmed with faces I recognized, I found just one school friend that looked vaguely familiar in the photo. Oh well, we'll see if she responds.......and guess what? just received her email 2 secs. ago confirming I'm her friend. I'm a somebody!! We haven't connected in over 10 years so I think I'm going to be a bit busy uploading some photos and filling details on my profile. Facebook certainly makes email look soooo boring.

I took a quick look around MySpace which didn't inspire me too much (seemed a bit like a "find a date" site). I'm intrigued how social networking applications, like Facebook, would work within libraries. Our tech.-savvy patrons may jump at the chance to connect with other like-minded users to post comments or even book reviews, but there's probably a lot more patrons who still prefer the more old fashioned approach to networking, ie in person.

No comments: