Monday, December 29, 2008

#13 Library 2.0

I read through the articles on Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 and I have to confess that before starting on my journey through the Playground, I would not have understood the concepts being discussed (I feel like I'm another Luddite too!). However, here I am at #13 and feel that I have made progress and learnt so much. I found the Wikipedia overview interesting, especially the comment that, "The active and empowered library user is a significant component of Library 2.0. With information and ideas flowing in both directions – from the library to the user and from the user to the library – library services have the ability to evolve and improve on a constant and rapid basis. The user is participant, co-creator, builder and consultant – whether the product is virtual or physical." I think the challenge will be to inform, educate and engage the users, including all the Luddites out there, so that they too are involved in the evolution of the library. You really do get a strong sense that Change is coming and libraries in five years or more will operate differently but are we preparing our patrons for it? Hmmm.....maybe we should add Flickr, setting a up a Blog, etc to the current computer training courses we offer?

No comments: